Wednesday, April 11, 2012

India

I was a 'patriot' before I knew what it meant. I swore I wouldn't work outside the country, and wouldn't be part of that term thrown about with such severity- "Brain Drain". At 22, I find myself leaving the country for the next five years, this inner patriot finds itself silenced. Do I intend to return (of course, I may not have a choice given the employment situation worldwide)? My answer is no longer a resounding yes. Working in India lays open its problems, and while I love her irrespective of these, they make me rethink living here. I'm no longer certain of returning to her thorny embrace. I want to do something for my country, but when the costs of such a contribution appear on the horizon, I am hesitant. I was a patriot before I knew what it meant. I hope I shall prove myself a patriot now that I fully understand what it means to be one.

5 comments:

  1. Hello, Shweta! I'm sure you have lots of stories and things to write about from this patriot adventure, though.

    I noticed your last post was about Harry Potter. Did you see J.K. Rowling announced her newest novel title and release date today? The Casual Vacancy due out on Sept. 27! :)

    Hope you're having a great week and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an excellent point--it is not bravery, when we are not aware of the danger--i hope you find your peace about all of it--great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit cryptic, but you'll get it sorted out. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. My alphabet is at myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you not still be a patriot when living outside of your country, especially if it provides the means for you to achieve your goal to help those still living in your country?
    Thanks for a thought provoking post.

    http://sherrygloagtheheartofromance.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the most part, we all hold on to our roots despite come what may. Life is what we make of it wherever we choose to make it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete